Monday, September 12, 2011

2nd place stinks...

   2nd place stinks, it stinks for hours and hours. You eat a bit, your friends pat you on the back everybody laughs and gradually the smell fades. You wake up the next morning in far worse shape then if you had taken first. Victory is a great painkiller. You watch the videos of your wins a couple times, you watch the losses dozens of times and see all the mistakes. Knowing you should have won... Could have won...  If there was any doubt before, there is none now. You're gonna do this again!!! You're gonna train harder. Train more! You are gonna spend every penny you can sacrifice on your training. You will not accept defeat. You're gonna eat, sleep and breathe on the mat! You did not simply get humbled, YOU GOT MOTIVATED!
  That said... I was very lucky to have so many friends and family show up to cheer me on. I won 2 matches and lost 2 matches, but my cheering section didn't seem to care, and it really surprised me away how affected I was by the support. I know I didn't do this alone.
   My dad put up with a lot of attitude during the weight cut, I owe him an apology as well as thanks. He is my first coach and my first fan...Thank you dad, for the understanding, support and setting me on this path!!!!
   My brother who has helped immeasurably, from the use of his truck to get to training, making the shirts and shooting the video. He has quietly made this possible. (And my nephew Neal who doesn't ever seem to care if I win.) Thank you Noah.
   My buddy Bryan at FitBlender for believing in the Dirty Wrestler product (Me) and for hooking me up with some great guys to workout with. I have to mention his wife Kate who lets me crash on their couch and wrestle on the living room floor when I come to visit. I'd probably still be "talking about Dirty, instead of getting Dirty!" without Bryan. 
   My roommate Moose who had to put up with dieting moods, late night 10k's on the rower and hogging the washing machine. He has been obnoxiously positive and encouraging and tolerant. Thanks buddy!
   The list can go on and on.... Lynn and Max (her dog and my new favorite running partner). Stacy my boss and friend (who really "gets it" even if she does think I'm crazy). The guys at Punishment Training center, Jake at Scientific Wrestling, Clint and Lawrence for there ridiculous loyalty to an old coach! Dana out in Colorado the best training partner ever. Betsy who always believes in me, even when I don't.
2nd place doesn't smell so bad today. Thank you everybody!

No comments:

Post a Comment