Friday, September 2, 2011

9-1-74 a Dirty Wrestler was born...

   Thought it was time for another post on my favorite subject (wink wink) ME! 
   Yes it is my birthday, I am officially 37 years old and I feel every bit of it this morning. I got up early and swam. took it really easy on the bike and tried to recover a bit. I spent a LOT of time in the jacuzzi, on the chi machine and on the knobby foam roller. My roommate Moose didn't let my birthday pass without pranking me a bit but came threw with an OUTSTANDING gift. New board shorts for the competition, size 30! Yes I fit in 30's... last time i wore them was in Jr. High.
   Now the presents didn't stop there. I dragged my tired old butt into the gym for evening wrestling. Once again my take downs lacked grace and precision but that's why we train our weakness not our strength! Iron man drill time and I feel good once again defending the take downs. My really solid workout partner Tommy was there to really push me but its a young group and coach decided I needed to be taken down a notch. 
   So, the gracious Mr. Tito Ortiz decided to step in. I was, to put it mildly... taken to school. I couldn't budge him, it was like wrestling a bulldozer. Regardless of the weight advantage, I was at a serious deficit in skill and took my lumps as best as I could. It was all in fun and I wouldn't trade it for anything. After enough of the public humility lesson we wrapped up and despite my lack of success i came away feeling very good about the tournament. For the first time since I decided to compete, the anxiety and nerves seem to have disappeared...   
   While i still have some big holes in my game and Coach is gonna have his work cut out with me, I have no doubt I will get better every time I set foot on the mat. there is no more grappling for me at this point. Weight management and recovery is key. I've emailed everybody I can think of about the tournament and hopefully I will have a pretty good cheering section. To steal a quote from my buddy Clint "luck plays a factor in everything but when the time to perform comes the time to prepare has passed"
                                                     I believe I'm ready!

No comments:

Post a Comment