Thursday, September 1, 2011

From 8-31

   Ok I'm really sore! I had a great workout at Punishment. It was so nice to finally have guys my size to work with. I seem to be a 30lbs disadvantage with all the guys I know so this was a great opportunity to gauge my actual strength and speed. As I suspected it was fine, but my "mat fitness" is still lacking. No amount of cardio makes up for good old fashioned wrestling!
   First off let me say Tito is an Outstanding coach. I come into the class with my own habits and baggage, and I never heard "that's wrong" "that's not how you do it". Instead he focused on adding details, correcting form or offering suggestions on how to clean up my game. It was really easy to learn from him, and I feel I improved noticeably after 1 workout.
   I've never been comfortable with shots, single, double or high crotch, so it was good that we worked those very moves. I've always been more of a counter wrestler and would rather tie up and work for trips or throws, maybe get to "collar and elbow" for the duck under/ankle pick option. It was valuable time spent shaking off the rust, I've spent so much time with Catch and submissions that my Wrestling fundamentals have gotten very weak.
   Of course once we got to the live sparring (takedowns) I instantly reverted back to my countering ways. "sugar footing" my way in, inviting my opponent to shoot so that I can get to sprawl and head control. N.S. is still my favorite position, it opens up power-half and chin pick twist and a host of front chokes. I find the same style I use on the ground is the one I use standing. Find a way to control the opponents head, get his eyes facing the floor, grind grind grind. The transition into Stockade sets up a host of submission possibilities as does CPT (chin pick twist) which gives me a tight head &arm or even a 5 finger guillotine after the turn...
   So what is the point of this rambling entry? 
   Simple I found a gym and an coach that really fit my style, the other wrestlers are really cool and there is not a drop of ego to get in the way of learning. I felt like one of the gang as soon as we shook hands. I think I've found a home at Punishment, and I cant wait to go back on Thursday. 
             (I'll try and get a pic for the next update)

No comments:

Post a Comment